Sunday, April 17, 2011

DAY 19: A FULL DAY WITH MOMMA!

Mom slept in until 9:00 am!  For those of you who don’t know her sleep schedule, it is VERY unusual for her to sleep past 6 or 6:30 am. We had a pleasant low-key morning, and it was really nice to not to have anything to do right away! 

 After getting ready (which we are happy to report becomes a more and more ‘normal’ routine  for her every day), Mom watched part of a movie. As she was watching it I asked if we could turn off the TV and work on some speech...she said "no".  I asked her again, and she said, " no, after". It took a second to click for me that it wasn’t that she didn’t want to work on speech, she just wanted to finish what she was watching first.  So I asked her once it was over, if we could work on some speech exercises and she agreed :-). 

She stayed true to what she told me.  As soon as the movie was over she came to the kitchen table with me and worked really hard for a half hour.  (JESSICA SIDENOTE: I continue to be AMAZED at how well Courtney and Dad work with Mom. They embrace the tools that the therapists, nurses and doctors have given them and continue to work with Mom any opportunity they get! They all have done an excellent job working together this week! As I check in with them daily, well multiple times per day (I can’t help it :o), I continue to see the LEAPS of progress Mom is making! I can’t WAIT to be home with them in 6 days!)

Back to Courtney:

This morning we had two surprise deliveries, one was beautiful flowers from a couple of my girlfriends in CT and the other was an Easter Lilies from Jess.  Mom's face brightens up as she opens the flowers! It’s so fun to watch.  Since she had been doing so well dialing phone numbers, I wrote out Jess's number and Mom called her to say thank you!


We then had lunch (Mom made her own brisket sandwich!) and relaxed.  Her brother Gary and his wife Ellen stopped over. While they were here the cable guy showed up (our Internet router pooped out this morning so we were able to get that fixed today).  Gary and Ellen took off to run errands and as soon as the cable was fixed, Mom, Dad and I left to run our own errands.  We first went to Cub where Mom led us around the grocery store as she pushed the cart.  We walked through the produce section. I told her I had going to grab bananas and she said “ok”, and when I turned to find her and Dad she was picking out corn in the cob (ALL ON HER OWN), I just loved that!


We also swung into Home Depot before heading home.  Not too long after we returned home Mom's friend Diane stopped over with dinner!  She joined us as we ate her delicious beef stew!  We are so thankful for all the support and love from friends and family!  After dinner Mom found Pirates of the Caribbean on TV to watch and we took some more time to relax.  We have missed our nightly Skype sessions with Jess, last night because of the internet and tonight because she was asleep by the time we were done with dinner.  We are all heading to bed thankful for another great day!

We continue to pray for God to heal Mom’s brain! (We selfishly want her ALL the way back as SOON as possible, but we know it is in his time). We are thankful to see his grace everyday through her and the many people who are supporting her and our family through her recovery.

Love,

Gordy, Courtney and Jessica

Where have you seen God’s grace in your life today?