Friday, April 22, 2011

GOOD FRIDAY: A FRIENDLY HI FROM THE SKY!

I’m officially ELATED to announce that I am currently IN THE AIR on my way back to my favorite place! I asked Mom if she was going to stay up and wait for me and she said, “No!”  So I laughed and told her as soon as I walked in the door I was going to crawl into bed with her and give her a BIG kiss!

I must apologize for our absence in posting this week. Between an intense week of Mom’s outpatient therapy for Dad and Courtney and a new position at work for me…we’ve been slacking on the updates on Mom. Courtney did a fabulous summary of the past week and I wanted to make sure and post it for all of you! I also PROMISE to give you all some exciting updates of the Easter weekend ahead!
The Last Few Days!
By: Courtney Marie BOBBBB (ask Dad to say it :o)
Well it is time to catch you all up on Moms progress this week.  I’m happy to report she has been improving every single day!  This was Mom’s first week of outpatient therapy.  She had OT and speech on Monday, speech on Wednesday, and speech and OT today (Friday).  She is doing her outpatient therapy with Sister Kenny but has moved locations from Abbott to Unity Hospital.  We are happy that we have one OT and one speech therapist, so Mom won't be juggled between multiple therapists like in inpatient therapy.  Her speech therapist is Laura.  In just this week Mom continues to make huge strides with speaking and writing.  She is getting better at writing out her name and our immediate family. She rolls her eyes and smiles when I ask her to write out my last name. JWith Jess and Dad it's the same, so she skips it...but I don't let her get away with it on mine (especially because it's longer)! This week we figured out that she can read an analog clock and write down the time, as well as do simple addition problems.  One of the most exciting improvements with her speech is we can tell she is wanting to tell us specific things, more than just "yes", "no", "ok" or "hi".  She gets our attention by say "hey" and then tries to let us know what she needs or is thinking.  It takes a while to figure it out, but she is starting to be able to express herself! This is such an EXCITING improvement! Also, she seems to do a very good job of following conversation and being able to engage.
Additional to the therapy she receives, her therapists send us away with homework.  We try to work with Mom for at least an hour of speech, a few different activities related to OT (typing, clocks, math, cooking, etc), and do some kind of walking or activity.  Between her therapy appointments, home therapy with us, and doctor appointments she is very busy. We also make sure she is able to sneak in a nap or two, which is really important for her recovery!
It has been really fun to see more friends and family! We love hearing that family/friends that saw Mom initially when we got home who see her now and have pointed out her amazing improvements!  We love people telling us how much she has progressed since they last visited! Seeing the everyday changes makes it harder to see how big the full progress has been.  We continue to pray for full recovery and are ever so thankful for all of the support and love from our wonderful family and friends!

Well back up to thousands of feet in the sky – I JUST CAN’T WAIT TO LAND IN MN!!! I am officially over Peoria, IL…making progress! I am so thankful I am able to spend this weekend at home with Mom and the family!
Today really has been a GOOD FRIDAY! Even more than being thankful for Mom and being able to go home (which please don’t mistake I am VERY grateful for!), I am so thankful for what we celebrate today. We celebrate a 37 year old man, who came down to this earth and lived the PERFECT life we could not live and died the prefect death – TODAY, Good Friday – for ALL of us to be set free. We no longer need to work our way to heaven, and desire to DO because of what He already has done! And in two days on Easter Sunday – we awake – to find His EMPTY tomb. He has DEFEATED death!!! Thanks be to GOD!
We love you ALL!
Gordy, Courtney and Jessica
Where have you seen God’s grace in your life today?