Monday, January 17, 2011

ARE YOU PLAYING FAST & LOOSE?:

I was greeted by a pleasant surprise at church Sunday morning! Dr. Paul Nyquist, President of Moody Bible Institute in Chicago, IL, was speaking! (http://www.moodyministries.net/crp_MainPage.aspx?id=608). I didn’t realize how familiar I was with Moody until I was talking with my Dad after the sermon and he shared with me that a neighbor of theirs back in Oak Park, IL used to work for the Institute. Dr. Nyquist brought about some fascinating statistics about the state of religion in our world.



He concluded that the current fastest growing religion in our world is Islam and the current fastest growing religious group in our world is the non-religious! NOW if THAT doesn’t wake you up in the morning, I’m not sure what else will! And if you are unsure of the accuracy, please take a look. I have attached the sermon here (I apologize for the quality):



He brought to light the URGENCY of GENUINE DISCIPLESHIP. Starting with how God calls us to be disciples, which I must say (in Tullian’s favorite words),“wrecked me afresh!” We found the answer in Matthew 16:24-27.

Take Up Your Cross and Follow Jesus

Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man in return for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.

Dr. Nyquist did a wonderful job breaking down what it means to be a GENUINE DISCIPLE:

3 Requirements (Matthew 16:24):

  1. Renounce Self: Give up the self directed life.
  2. Sacrifice Self: Mistreatment, abuse & even death.
  3. Keep following Jesus: Never stop.
He ended with asking the question: Have you made the choice to be an authentic, genuine disciple of Jesus?

I am so thankful that Jesus offers the only way to the ABUNDANT LIFE! I hope you all have a wonderful start to a brand new week!

Where have you seen God’s grace in your life today?