Thursday, January 6, 2011

INSPIRED

I was really struggling with two things coming into the New Year:

1. What is my new year’s resolution?

2. I love being home in Minnesota with my family and friends, why am I going back to Delray Beach and am I really meant to live there?

I prayed a lot about these two things and something really amazing happened the evening I came back to Florida (last Sunday, 01.02.11) which answered both of my questions.

My flight landed just before midnight and by the time I collected my luggage and started towards home it was Monday morning. I spoke with my Dad briefly on my drive home from the Ft. Lauderdale airport to Delray Beach.  I felt God really working in me through our conversation and on that car ride. As I exited the freeway, I felt Him calling me to drive to the beach. I was tired, upset and really didn’t understand why; but I listened. So instead of turning down Federal Hwy to head home, I drove up and over the intercostal to A1A and drove towards the beach access point. I parked with only one other car around at that time of night. I must admit, I was a little scared in the dark. I left everything in my car but my phone and keys and walked out onto the beach.

INSERT SIDE STORY: A boyfriend at the time and I used to go to the beach quite often in the evenings. We always went to lifeguard stand #3. One night last winter we were particularly frustrated at one another and decided to take a walk down the beach. And a very quiet walk at that.  After a long mile or so of silence we came upon ­two beach chairs. He looked at me with a smirk and said, "Do you want to sit and talk?" The beach was empty and dark, but these two chairs were sitting there for us. I'm sure someone had left them, but now God was using them. We had a long breakthrough conversation in those chairs. I often talked about how amazing it was that those chairs were just sitting there for us exactly when we needed them!

Back to the beach last Sunday evening: As I walked out onto the dark and empty beach I saw volleyball nets to my right and just to my left, I found one beach chair. Again, it was the ONLY one in sight on the entire beach. It even looked just like the two we had found last winter.



I felt God say, “Jessica, do you want to sit and talk?” I sat in my chair and let the tears roll down my face. He told me this is where you are supposed to be. I then took my shoes and socks of, walked down to the water, put my feet in, and took a couple of big deep breaths. Then as I took in the view of the dark ocean, I thanked God for answering my prayers. I was in awe as I walked back to my car and drove home. Puffy eyed, you just couldn’t wipe that smile off of my face.

As I mentioned, while in Minnesota, I was really questioning why I am in Florida. I want to spend these years with MY family (not alone)! ...I’m still searching for many answers, but in the meantime, I think God was welcoming me HOME. I am so thankful for a physical sign that this is where he wants me to be right now. Alone, here in Delray Beach...where he still needs to do some work on me. And you know what, I'm okay with that...or at least I am today ;o)

As a result of this, I have decided to officially state my New Years Resolution for 2011:

To BE in the Moment!

I often find myself going just going through the motions, unappreciative of all of the blessings around me. I want to work on slowing down. To hold myself accountable I have started this blog. I want to share how God is working in my life, and this year I am going to be prayerfully dedicated to seeing God’s grace every single day. I hope you will follow along with me on my journey.

Where have you seen God’s grace in your life today?